Banzai is seeking a talented Back End Developer with experience in Site Reliability Engineering, or DevOps, who will help us expand our reach and organize our processes so that we can ship better code, faster.
Banzai builds software to teach financial education in over 30,000 schools and to over a million children and adults nationwide. 800+ community banks and credit unions have partnered with Banzai to sponsor the courses on behalf of educators and communities. Banzai employs about 50 professionals in marketing, sales, product development, sponsor relations, shipping, and support.
The pandemic painted a spotlight on financial preparedness. Because of this, our software is becoming more complicated, and we are reaching more people and seeing more traffic than ever before. The Banzai development team is small, but growing, and with each new hire, we create a need for more robust processes and tools that will support the further development of great new products.
What You Will Do
Banzai is building a new generation of financial literacy tools and scaling it to millions of users. As a developer at Banzai you will:
- Improve deployment tools, processes and procedures.
- Build and maintain infrastructure for production and staging environments, focusing on scaling them for a growing development team.
- Improve development environments to improve team productivity.
- Design, extend, and implement system-wide security strategies.
- Build documentation frameworks.
- Manage and monitor issues.
- Audit and implement strategies to improve application performance and support higher traffic.
- Contribute to new feature development and general server-side maintenance.
Our system relies on Heroku for deployment and hosting, Scalyr for traffic logging and monitoring, and CircleCI for Continuous Integration.
*As an applicant, you are not expected to know Clojure, however, you must be familiar and comfortable with functional programming languages (see What You Need).
What You Need
All of the skills below are desirable, but Banzai will judge your qualifications on balance. We hope you'll have:
- 5 to 10 years of programming experience.
- Experience in deployment systems, performance monitoring, and managing multiple developer environments.
- Strong proficiency in a JVM language such as Java, Scala, Kotlin, or Clojure.
- Proficiency in Clojure is a plus.
At Banzai, we're proud of the benefits we offer, not least of which is the autonomy to make decisions about software and making an impact on a small team. The hard benefits, however, include:
- Salary range: $80–120K depending on experience
- Full healthcare and dental benefits, with 95% premium coverage, and 100% coverage of out-of-pocket expenses
- 401(K) employer match of 5%
- Flexible vacations
- Flexible remote work (Note: this is not a fully remote position.)
- Life and disability insurance
- Phone and service upon completion of an agreed upon target
- Stock options
How To Apply
Submit whatever you think best demonstrates why you are Banzai's best choice. Here are a few suggestions:
- Resume or work history.
- Cover letter describing why you are a unique fit for Banzai.
- Public portfolio, if you have one (e.g. Github, Gitlab)
- Work portfolio: items demonstrating real work you've produced for clients or employers.
To apply, please email your application to Kenna Martin, Lead Developer at Banzai, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Banzai is located in Provo at 2230 N. University Pkwy. Bldg. 14.